Maybe a friend in your life just broke up with their partner, lost a job, or is going through another difficult transition.
You want to be a great friend to them during this time, but how can you help?
Sending a heartfelt message of encouragement is a great way to lend strength to someone in your life who is in need.
Words can often be powerful enough to lift your friend’s spirits and boost their overall mood.
If you are searching for the perfect uplifting messages for friends, look no further!
What Do You Say to Uplift a Friend?
If you aren’t great with words, you might not know what to say to a friend who is grieving or upset. Sometimes, saying the wrong thing can make the situation even worse.
The following are what you should and shouldn’t do if you want to uplift a friend in need:
- Listen to them closely and acknowledge the struggle they are facing. Make sure they know you aren’t going to judge them.
- Don’t compare their struggle to something you have experienced. Maybe you’re just trying to be relatable, but it can seem like you’re trying to one-up them.
- Validate their emotions with affirming words.
- Don’t assume how they feel or tell them how they should feel. This will make them regret coming to you in the first place.
What Are the Most Comforting Words?
Everyone is different, so what is comforting to one person may not be for another. But some words are universally reassuring to the majority of people.
Some of these are:
- I understand.
- It’s okay that you’re feeling this way.
- Your emotions are valid.
- I’m sorry this is happening to you.
- How would you like to be supported right now?
75 Words of Comfort for a Friend
You may feel powerless if your friend is going through a difficult time in their life. You might not be able to fix things for them, but supporting them through your words can help them more than you might think.
If you aren’t sure what to write in a comfort message to a friend, these examples of comforting someone are a great place to start!
Comforting Words for a Friend in Need
Maybe your friend is going through a loss or heartache. These comforting words will bring them peace in their storm.
1. It’s okay to feel down every now and then. What’s most important is that you get back up.
2. Let go of the things in your life that don’t serve you.
3. Your emotions are valid. I will be here for you for whatever you need.
4. Even when life is hard, there are so many things to live for.
5. Don’t give up because there are so many people who love you, including me.
6. If you feel like you’re not doing enough, remind yourself that just getting out of bed is enough!
7. As your friend, I know that you are capable of anything.
8. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, know that I’ll always be there!
9. Don’t let this difficult moment shake your faith.
10. No matter how low you feel, things will always get better!
11. I know you’re going through a difficult time, so just let me know how I can support you.
12. Time heals all wounds, so just be patient.
13. Know that I’m only one phone call away. You can call me anytime, day or night.
14. I can’t take away your pain, but I can bring ice cream and your favorite movie.
15. You can always talk to me about anything. Whatever it is, I’ll listen.
16. You are my best friend, and I’ll never betray you.
17. You are not alone. You have family and friends that care for you, and that includes me!
18. We’re all rooting for you. Wipe those tears and go out and conquer!
19. Don’t let the world dim your sparkle. Get up and make today count!
Strength Words of Comfort for a Friend
Maybe your friend recently went through an experience that knocked them down. These words of comfort will help them find their strength and get back on their feet.
20. If you feel like you can’t go on any further, remember all that you’ve already accomplished.
21. You are one of the strongest and most hardworking people I know.
22. I know you’ll achieve all that your heart desires.
23. No matter what struggles you’ve faced, you have always been able to come out on top.
24. The thing I admire most about you is your strength and resilience.
25. Stay brave and know that you have the power to rewrite your story.
26. Every failure is just another opportunity in disguise.
27. I’ll always have your back, so stay strong and courageous!
28. Your strength is so inspiring to me. Don’t lose that spark!
29. You are such a courageous soul that I know you’ll be able to make it through anything.
30. You can achieve anything you set your mind to.
31. Whenever life gets hard, just take it one day at a time. You got this!
32. I know you’ve been feeling down, but don’t give up.
33. If you’re barely hanging on, remember you’ve survived 100 percent of your bad days so far.
34. Whenever you fall, I’ll be beside you to help you get back on your feet.
35. I know you’re strong enough to beat whatever struggles come your way.
36. So many people admire your resilience. Remember that every time you want to give up!
37. Don’t back down because I have faith that you can persevere.
38. Let me be your strength because I’ll always be your biggest supporter!
More Related Articles
107 Of The Best Thank You Quotes for Friends
100 Of The Best Inspirational Quotes And Sayings Of All Time
67 Most Inspirational Positive Energy Quotes Of All Time
Words of Support for a Friend
These supportive words for a friend will uplift them no matter what struggle they may be facing.
39. You might not believe in yourself, but just know that I believe in you.
40. You are capable of so many wonderful things.
41. Anyone would be lucky to have you in their life!
42. Don’t let the stress get to you. Just take things one day at a time.
43. If you don’t know what path to take, just listen to your heart. It won’t lead you astray.
44. Things might be tough right now, but I know you have a bright future ahead.
45. Life throws us all for a loop every now and then, but you’re the strongest person I know.
46. You have always been there for me, so I’ll never stop being there for you.
47. I just want to remind you how important you are to me.
48. Did you know you’re one of my favorite people in the entire world?
49. I’m sorry you’re going through something like this, but I’m here if you need to talk.
50. What’s something we could do together that would cheer you up?
51. I’m not sure what’s going on right now, but I’m here if you need to get it off your chest.
52. I understand how frustrating this is. How can I be there to support you right now?
53. I have no words for what you’re going through, but I just want you to know I’m truly sorry.
54. Can I come over with your favorite dinner and a movie?
55. I understand how you feel, and I’m sending good vibes your way.
56. I want to lighten your load in any way I can, so let me know how I can help.
57. I just wanted to let you know that I’m thinking of you.
Words of Comfort for a Sick Friend
Send a message of support to a friend who is sick and stuck indoors. They will appreciate your kindness more than you might think!
58. Take this time to focus on yourself. The rest of the world can wait.
59. Your health is the number one priority. Take this time to relax and heal!
60. Just know that I’m wishing you well. Get lots of rest and get well soon!
61. I hope you get better soon because we all miss having you around.
62. Don’t worry about anything. I’ll make sure everything’s taken care of while you recover.
63. Don’t feel guilty about needing time off. Everyone gets sick, so just stay comfortable.
64. Use this time to relax, refresh, and reset. You deserve it!
65. I am wishing you the best as you heal. I’m sending positive vibes your way!
66. You are in my thoughts. I’m sending you love as you recover and regain your strength!
67. Even though you are sick, I hope you’re able to enjoy having some time off to relax.
68. Let me know if there’s anything you need to make you more comfortable.
69. Take your time to get well, and I’ll make sure your responsibilities are taken care of.
70. Work just isn’t the same without you! We can’t wait to have you back in the office.
71. I can be there at the drop of a hat if you need someone to take care of you!
72. I’m praying for a quick recovery for you!
73. Don’t stress about getting behind while you’re out. I got this!
74. I’m sorry this is happening to you.
75. How can I help you while you recover?
When comforting a friend who is grieving or upset, just be genuine. Just letting the person know you understand where they are coming from can go a long way. It might not feel like much, but your words can have a greater impact than you know.
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- I wish I had the right words, just know I care.
- I don't know how you feel, but I am here to help in any way I can.
- You and your loved one will be in my thoughts and prayers.
- My favorite memory of your loved one is…
- “Gone from our sight, but never from our hearts.”
- “Our thoughts and prayers are with you.”
- “I wish you healing and peace.”
- “I hope you feel surrounded by much love.”
- “We are so sorry for your loss.”
- “We are thinking of you during these difficult times.”
- The Power Of Your Presence. Many people think they have to say something in order to be helpful. ...
- The Power Of Silence. ...
- Validation. ...
- Reframing. ...
- Use Yourself But Not The Moment. ...
- Avoid Giving Advice. ...
- Offer Concrete Help. ...
- Follow Up.
- "Dawn Will Come." Really. ...
- "Worrying Won't Do Us Any Good." ...
- "Let's Consider the Positive Things." ...
- "Recognize the Challenge and Do Something About It." ...
- "Things Won't Always Be This Bad." ...
- "Don't Give Up." ...
- "Hope Can Never Be Taken Away." ...
- "Do Something to Help Others."
- Always in our hearts.
- Always on my mind, forever in my heart.
- You'll be with me forever.
- Gone yet not forgotten.
- May the winds of heaven blow softly and whisper in your ear. ...
- You may be gone from my sight but you are never gone from my heart.
- You are more fun than anyone or anything I know, including bubble wrap.
- You are the most perfect you there is.
- You are enough.
- You are one of the strongest people I know.
- You look great today.
- You have the best smile.
- Your outlook on life is amazing.
- You just light up the room.
- “Witness” their feelings. ...
- Affirm that their feelings make sense. ...
- Show the person you understand their feelings, and facilitate the deepening of his or her own understanding of them. ...
- Don't minimize their pain or try to cheer them up. ...
- Offer physical affection if appropriate.